Part Seven // what to do on a lay day
You have planned to go surfing, but the weather doesn’t play along or the waves don’t fit to your surf level? Let no grass grow under your feet cause Bali got plenty of treasures to offer!
In this blog post we give you some good tips on what to do if your beach and surf plans don’t work out. We focused on the area of Canggu and Seminyak, but we also give some advice for Ubud. If you are interested in getting more impressions of the Indonesian island life, we have also listed some other places around Bali that are waiting to get explored.
How to book
One option to explore Bali is to book a day trip online, as there are lots of offers available (e.g. in Facebook Bali Travel groups). These packages usually include a driver for about 8 hours and a sightseeing trip to the popular attractions in the chosen area.
Another option is to watch out for tourist information booths at the roadside. Their offers are pretty much the same like in the internet, but it’s possible to bargain.
If you stay in a hotel or homestay, you can always book day trips through them as well.
The best thing to do on a lay day is working on your inner harmony and core strength. Yoga can also help you with your breathing, something you can benefit from when you’re back on the board! There are several yoga studios located in Canggu, each offering different classes, styles, timetables and levels. So you should really try out some of them to find out which one you like the best. We really like these:
- Desa Seni (140.000 IDR/class), Jl. Subak Sari No. 13
- The Practice (140.000 IDR/class), Jl. Batu Bolong No. 94a
- Samadi (130.000 IDR/class), Jl. Padang Linjong No. 39
Tip: Often you can save some money if you buy a pass for five or six classes!
Just because there are no waves, doesn’t mean you can’t have a board under your feet! Join the skaters at Amplitude Skate Park, either on the pump track, in the street park or in the bowl. You can rent a skateboard and helmet there or buy your own gear in their little skate shop. If you’re already used to skating the bowl, you should try and skate Canggu’s famous bowl at Pretty Poison or at Konkrete! And even if you’re not that into skating, it’s fun to watch those who are, while drinking a Bintang!
- Amplitude (Pump track, Bowl, Street Park, 50.000 IDR/session), Jl. Raya Br. Semer, Gg. Nata, Kav 0-5
- Pretty Poison (Bowl, for free, Party on Tue, Thu, Sat), Jl. Subak Canggu (Ricefield Shortcut)
- Konkrete (Bowl, for free), Jl. Pantai Berawa 99, Badung
Tip: On Mondays from 3-5pm the entry for Amplitude is free, yasss!
Canggu is not Kuta, but still has some fancy nightlife to offer: When the sun is setting, it’s time to meet your new friends at Old Mans‘ or The Lawn’s happy hour, followed by listening to some live music at DEUS (or join one of their legendary movie nights!). Dance your feet off at Sandbar and proof your star-appeal at the Open Mic Night at Gimme Shelter!
- Old Man’s (Restaurant, Bar), 7am-1am, Live Music on Fridays, Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong
- The Lawn (Restaurant, Bar, Pool), 11am-11pm, Party on Fridays, Jl. Pura Dalem
- DEUS (Restaurant, r, Shop), 7am-12pm, Live Music on Sundays, Jl. Batu Mejan
- Sandbar Batu Bolong (Beach Bar), Wed-Sun 10pm-6am , Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong
- Pretty Poison (Bar, Skate Bowl), 4pm-12am, Party on Tue, Thu, Sat, Jl. Subak Canggu
- Gimme Shelter (Bar), 7pm-3am, Live Music on Wed + Sat, Jl. Lkr. Nelayan No. 444
- Luigies Hot Pizza (Restaurant Bar), 5pm-12am, Party on Mondays, Jalan Batu Mejan Br. Canggu
Massages, Facials, Mani/Pedi
There are lots of spas all around Canggu: No matter whether you want a really luxurious and fancy experience or prefer a simple local treatment. From massages to facials to mani and pedicure, Canggu’s got it all! We really recommend a one hour full body massage, which will be a blessing for your muscles and leave you extremely relaxed. Go pamper yourself!
Allover Bali you can find countless Hindu temples and a very special one is not that far from Canggu: The Pura Tanah Lot is located right in the ocean at the Balinese coastline and can only be reached during low tide. For tourists it’s not allowed to go inside the temple but the view of the temple in the sunset is really worth the visit.
Beraban, Kediri, Tabanan
If you stay in Bali a little longer, it pays off to buy your own surfboard. Your new baby will not just be much better than the boards you can rent at the beach, you will also save some dollars compared to European prices. Besides surfboards, you can find surf equipment like wax, leashes or wetsuits in shops like Good Hood, DEUS or Quiksilver.
- Dylan Surfboards (Surfboards), Jl. Pantai Berawa No.999
- Good Hood (Surfwear, Leashes, Wax, Zinc), Jl. Batu Bolong No.99b (close to the beach on the left)
- DEUS (Surfboards, Wetsuits, Wax), Jl. Batu Mejan No. 8
- Quiksilver’s Boardriders Echo Beach (Surfboards, Leashes, Wax, Surfwear, Apparel), Jl. Batu Mejan (just before Echo Beach on the left side)
You forgot to bring your bikini or some freaky little monkey stole your flip flops? No problem: All around Canggu you will find cool shops where you can buy unique clothes from local brands as well as the big brands. The famous ones are:
Souvenirs / Interior
You’re looking for some nice gifts or are in love with the interior style of places like Bungalow Café, you really should take a look at the accessories and textiles at the Bungalow Living Store. The shop is placed right on the opposite side of the café and makes our interior hearts skip a beat!
- Bungalow Living Store (Home, Textiles, Accessories, Beauty Products, Café), Jl. Raya Pantai Berawa No.35
With its great surf and yoga scene, more and more places focused on organic food and healthy products are opening up in Canggu. From all-natural cosmetics to Jamu (healthy Indonesian shot) to coconut flakes, you will find everything your heart desires. You really should check out:
Got weekend plans yet? What about a sunny walk whilst shopping handmade accessories and clothes? At Love Anchor Market, you will find great silver jewellery, gypsy rattan bags and decoration. Samadi Market offers regional products such as oils, veggies, fruits and handcrafts. Once a month, there is also a market at Old Man’s, where you will find one of a kind products such as clothes, surf equipment, home decor and accessoires from creative heads from allover Bali. Happy Shopping!
SEMINYAK/ KUTA AREA
Beaches, shopping, yoga, nightlife… Seminyak’s got it all! As Kuta is the so-called Mallorca for Australians, it’s all about partying and tacky souvenirs. So if you still want these things but not in a Mallorca-party-kind-of-way, you might wanna check out Seminyak. Find beautiful souvenirs, discover cute little boutiques and get your tan on at Double 6 beach!
Just like in Canggu, you can choose between lots of yoga studios and gyms in Kuta and Seminyak!
Yoga, Gym and Fitness
- Seminyak Yoga Shala (120.000 IDR/class), Jl. Raya Basangkasa No.1200
- Jiwa Bikram Yoga (180.000 IDR/class), Jl. Petitenget No.78
- Olop Iyengar Yoga Studio (100.000 IDR/class), Jl. Drupadi No.7
- Bali Fitness Seminyak (Gym and classes, 130.000 IDR/class), Jl. Sunset Road No. 333
- Daily Gym (75.000 IDR/session), Jl. Petitenget No. 72
- Celebrity Fitness (7 days free trial available; monthly memberships), Lippo Plaza Jl. Sunset Road
- The Art of Body (Pilates, Pole Dance, 160.000 IDR/ class), Jl. Mertanadi No. 25
With all its bars and clubs, Kuta can be a bit overwhelming. To not lose your head, just check out our faves! At La Favela you will find yummy food, urban tunes and a unique wooden decor. Rumours Restaurant means playing billiard while waiting for your burger and the colorful Motel Mexikola offers great mexican dinner and cocktails and is the place to be, if you want to directly start dancing after dinner!
You need to completely relax after all the partying and shopping? Enjoy some me-time, get a massage or watch the sunset at the beach.
Massages, Facials, Mani/Pedi
- La Plancha (Beach bar), Jl. Mesari Beach
- Beach Bars at Double 6 beach, Jl. Double Six
With a great range of surf related shops, Kuta and Seminyak will be heaven if you are looking for surf inspired streetwear, surf equipment as well as local designer brands and one of a kind garments. You will find many different shops and boutiques around Jl. Raya Seminyak, Jl. Laksmana and Jl. Oberoi.
- Drifter Surf Shop (Surfboards, Leashes, Wax, Zinc etc.), Jl. Oberoi No.50
- Rip Curl Shop (Surfboards, Leashes, Wax, Reefboots etc.), Jl. Kayu Aya No.48 and Jl. Sunset Road No.69
- Original Surf Outlet (Surfboards, Leashes, Wax, Reefboots, Drybags, Snorkeling-Equipment), Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai (Sunset Road)
- Quiksilver, Jl. Laksamana Basangkasa
- Roxy, Jl. Raya Seminyak
Ubud is the cultural and traditional heart of Bali. Artisans from this area are specialized in handicrafts and woodcarving which indicates the creative flair. There are also many art shops, galleries and the best art museums around.
In the middle of the town you will find a majestic palace that is even open to visitors.
SIGHTSEEING / CULTURAL TRIPS
Besides doing yoga and visiting the local artisan galleries, there are certainly a lot more things to discover around Ubud. When in Bali, seeing rice terraces and some waterfalls are inevitable! Take a walk at Tegallalang Rice Terraces, get impressed by the nature at Tegenungan waterfall, jump from the cliffs at Aling-Aling waterfall and meet some sassy dudes at Monkey Forest.
- Tegallalang Rice Terraces, Jl. Tegallalang, Gianyar
- Tegenungan Waterfall, Jl. Ir. Sutami, Gianyar
- Aling-Aling Waterfalls, Jl. Raya Desa Sambangan, Sambangan
- Monkey Forest, Jl. Monkey Forest, Ubud
- Goa Gajah (Elephant cave), Jl. Raya Goa Gajah
- Tirta Empul (Holy spring), Jl. Tirta, Tampaksiring, Gianyar
Tip: Be careful with the monkeys, they really love to steel flip flops… 🙂
You love to be creative and are seeking some new inspirations? With so many creative hubs, Bali offers lots of workshops and classes for those who like to do things by themselves. Let your creativity flow and make your own one of a kind souvenir: design your own silver earrings, learn Balinese dances or create your batik sarong.
- Silver Jewellery classes, (450.000 IDR/class incl. 5g of silver), Jl. Hanoman No.36
- Traditional Painting classes, WS Art Studios, Banjar Gelogor, Lodtundah
- Batik classes, WS Art Studios, Banjar Gelogor, Lodtundah
- Balinese Dance, WS Art Studios, Banjar Gelogor, Lodtundah
- Kecak Dance (starts from 75.000 IDR/ person), Jl. Sri Wedari No.12, Ubud
As mentioned above, you can book lots of different day trips in and around Bali. Go hike one of Bali’s volcanos, get impressed by all those colorful fish you will see while snorkeling, visit the Gilis or Nusa Lembongan!
- Hiking at Volcano Gunung Agung or Gunung Batur
- Waterbom Waterpark
- Diving / Snorkeling around Amed or Kerangasem
- 3-days sailing trip around Flores and Komodo
- Island-hopping to Gili Trawangan/Air/Meno or Nusa Lembongan/Penida/Ceningan for a weekend (approx. 600.000IDR round-trip with speed-boat by Marina Srikandi)
Also Check Out:
- Jimbaran Fishmarket
- Puri Lukisan Museum (History and Art), Jl. Raya Ubud
- Bali Botanic Garden, Jl. Kebun Raya (North of Bali)
- Balinese Cooking classes, from $ to $$$, all over Bali
- Bali Bird Park
- Tree Top Adventure Park
- Sekumpul Waterfall, Tejakula, Lemukih, Sawan
- Trunyan Cementery (skull village 3hrs from Denpasar), Jl. Raya Truyan Kintamani, Kintamani
- Batur Volcano Lake, Danau Batur, Kintamani
- Batur Natural Hot Spring, Toya Bungkah Kintamani, Desa Pekraman Batur
- Swimming with Dolphins (1.250.000 IDR/person), Melka Excelsior Hotel Resort, Lovina
- Kintamani Village (hike Mount Batur from here, do a Coffee Plantation Tour)
- Pura Ulan Danu Bratan (Water Temple) in the North of Bali, Bedugul, Singaraja
- Pura Besakih (Mother Temple) in the East of Bali, Desa Besakih, Rendang, Besakih
Once you’ve arrived in Bali you will for sure discover a lot more things to do than the one’s we listed. That is what makes Bali one of the most interesting and adventureous places in the world. There is always more to discover!
Last but not least we give you some recommendations for nice Balinese drivers we know in person and with who we have done some fun tours!
- Ayik (Whatsapp: +62 812 3767 4717)