Part Seven // what to do on a lay day
You have planned to go surfing, but the weather doesn't play along or the waves don't fit to your surf level? Let no grass grow under your feet cause Bali got plenty of treasures to offer!
In this blog post we give you some good tips on what to do if your beach and surf plans don't work out. We focused on the area of Canggu and Seminyak, but we also give some advice for Ubud. If you are interested in getting more impressions of the Indonesian island life, we have also listed some other places around Bali that are waiting to get explored.
How to book
One option to explore Bali is to book a day trip online, as there are lots of offers available (e.g. in Facebook Bali Travel groups). These packages usually include a driver for about 8 hours and a sightseeing trip to the popular attractions in the chosen area.
Another option is to watch out for tourist information booths at the roadside. Their offers are pretty much the same like in the internet, but it’s possible to bargain.
If you stay in a hotel or homestay, you can always book day trips through them as well.
The best thing to do on a lay day is working on your inner harmony and core strength. Yoga can also help you with your breathing, something you can benefit from when you're back on the board! There are several yoga studios located in Canggu, each offering different classes, styles, timetables and levels. So you should really try out some of them to find out which one you like the best. We really like these:
- Desa Seni (140.000 IDR/class), Jl. Subak Sari No. 13
- The Practice (140.000 IDR/class), Jl. Batu Bolong No. 94a
- Samadi (130.000 IDR/class), Jl. Padang Linjong No. 39
Tip: Often you can save some money if you buy a pass for five or six classes!
Just because there are no waves, doesn't mean you can't have a board under your feet! Join the skaters at Amplitude Skate Park, either on the pump track, in the street park or in the bowl. You can rent a skateboard and helmet there or buy your own gear in their little skate shop. If you're already used to skating the bowl, you should try and skate Canggu's famous bowl at Pretty Poison or at Konkrete! And even if you're not that into skating, it's fun to watch those who are, while drinking a Bintang!
- Amplitude (Pump track, Bowl, Street Park, 50.000 IDR/session), Jl. Raya Br. Semer, Gg. Nata, Kav 0-5
- Pretty Poison (Bowl, for free, Party on Tue, Thu, Sat), Jl. Subak Canggu (Ricefield Shortcut)
- Konkrete (Bowl, for free), Jl. Pantai Berawa 99, Badung
Tip: On Mondays from 3-5pm the entry for Amplitude is free, yasss!
Canggu is not Kuta, but still has some fancy nightlife to offer: When the sun is setting, it's time to meet your new friends at Old Mans' or The Lawn's happy hour, followed by listening to some live music at DEUS (or join one of their legendary movie nights!). Dance your feet off at Sandbar and proof your star-appeal at the Open Mic Night at Gimme Shelter!
- Old Man's (Restaurant, Bar), 7am-1am, Live Music on Fridays, Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong
- The Lawn (Restaurant, Bar, Pool), 11am-11pm, Party on Fridays, Jl. Pura Dalem
- DEUS (Restaurant, r, Shop), 7am-12pm, Live Music on Sundays, Jl. Batu Mejan
- Sandbar Batu Bolong (Beach Bar), Wed-Sun 10pm-6am , Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong
- Pretty Poison (Bar, Skate Bowl), 4pm-12am, Party on Tue, Thu, Sat, Jl. Subak Canggu
- Gimme Shelter (Bar), 7pm-3am, Live Music on Wed + Sat, Jl. Lkr. Nelayan No. 444
- Luigies Hot Pizza (Restaurant Bar), 5pm-12am, Party on Mondays, Jalan Batu Mejan Br. Canggu
Massages, Facials, Mani/Pedi
There are lots of spas all around Canggu: No matter whether you want a really luxurious and fancy experience or prefer a simple local treatment. From massages to facials to mani and pedicure, Canggu's got it all! We really recommend a one hour full body massage, which will be a blessing for your muscles and leave you extremely relaxed. Go pamper yourself!
Allover Bali you can find countless Hindu temples and a very special one is not that far from Canggu: The Pura Tanah Lot is located right in the ocean at the Balinese coastline and can only be reached during low tide. For tourists it's not allowed to go inside the temple but the view of the temple in the sunset is really worth the visit.
Beraban, Kediri, Tabanan
If you stay in Bali a little longer, it pays off to buy your own surfboard. Your new baby will not just be much better than the boards you can rent at the beach, you will also save some dollars compared to European prices. Besides surfboards, you can find surf equipment like wax, leashes or wetsuits in shops like Good Hood, DEUS or Quiksilver.
- Dylan Surfboards (Surfboards), Jl. Pantai Berawa No.999
- Good Hood (Surfwear, Leashes, Wax, Zinc), Jl. Batu Bolong No.99b (close to the beach on the left)
- DEUS (Surfboards, Wetsuits, Wax), Jl. Batu Mejan No. 8
- Quiksilver's Boardriders Echo Beach (Surfboards, Leashes, Wax, Surfwear, Apparel), Jl. Batu Mejan (just before Echo Beach on the left side)
You forgot to bring your bikini or some freaky little monkey stole your flip flops? No problem: All around Canggu you will find cool shops where you can buy unique clothes from local brands as well as the big brands. The famous ones are:
Souvenirs / Interior
You're looking for some nice gifts or are in love with the interior style of places like Bungalow Café, you really should take a look at the accessories and textiles at the Bungalow Living Store. The shop is placed right on the opposite side of the café and makes our interior hearts skip a beat!
- Bungalow Living Store (Home, Textiles, Accessories, Beauty Products, Café), Jl. Raya Pantai Berawa No.35
With its great surf and yoga scene, more and more places focused on organic food and healthy products are opening up in Canggu. From all-natural cosmetics to Jamu (healthy Indonesian shot) to coconut flakes, you will find everything your heart desires. You really should check out:
Got weekend plans yet? What about a sunny walk whilst shopping handmade accessories and clothes? At Love Anchor Market, you will find great silver jewellery, gypsy rattan bags and decoration. Samadi Market offers regional products such as oils, veggies, fruits and handcrafts. Once a month, there is also a market at Old Man's, where you will find one of a kind products such as clothes, surf equipment, home decor and accessoires from creative heads from allover Bali. Happy Shopping!
SEMINYAK/ KUTA AREA
Beaches, shopping, yoga, nightlife... Seminyak's got it all! As Kuta is the so-called Mallorca for Australians, it’s all about partying and tacky souvenirs. So if you still want these things but not in a Mallorca-party-kind-of-way, you might wanna check out Seminyak. Find beautiful souvenirs, discover cute little boutiques and get your tan on at Double 6 beach!
Just like in Canggu, you can choose between lots of yoga studios and gyms in Kuta and Seminyak!
Yoga, Gym and Fitness
- Seminyak Yoga Shala (120.000 IDR/class), Jl. Raya Basangkasa No.1200
- Jiwa Bikram Yoga (180.000 IDR/class), Jl. Petitenget No.78
- Olop Iyengar Yoga Studio (100.000 IDR/class), Jl. Drupadi No.7
- Bali Fitness Seminyak (Gym and classes, 130.000 IDR/class), Jl. Sunset Road No. 333
- Daily Gym (75.000 IDR/session), Jl. Petitenget No. 72
- Celebrity Fitness (7 days free trial available; monthly memberships), Lippo Plaza Jl. Sunset Road
- The Art of Body (Pilates, Pole Dance, 160.000 IDR/ class), Jl. Mertanadi No. 25
With all its bars and clubs, Kuta can be a bit overwhelming. To not lose your head, just check out our faves! At La Favela you will find yummy food, urban tunes and a unique wooden decor. Rumours Restaurant means playing billiard while waiting for your burger and the colorful Motel Mexikola offers great mexican dinner and cocktails and is the place to be, if you want to directly start dancing after dinner!
You need to completely relax after all the partying and shopping? Enjoy some me-time, get a massage or watch the sunset at the beach.
Massages, Facials, Mani/Pedi
- La Plancha (Beach bar), Jl. Mesari Beach
- Beach Bars at Double 6 beach, Jl. Double Six